As the inventor of the Therevox, Mike Beauchamp, describes, the Therevox is basically a vintage analog Minimoog meets an Ondes Martenot.
The Therevox ET-4.3 takes the all-analog design and adds a modern MIDI over USB output that allows it to control software synthesizers and other external hardware for unlimited sonic possibilities. All of the extra features of the ET-4.2 are also included as well as a second expression pedal / CV input that can be assigned to different parameters, and two Hold knobs for the intensity keys.
The MIDI over USB feature can operate in four different modes and allows for high speed and low latency. The position of the ring is sent as a 4 octave or 2 octave pitch bend and CC values are sent for the position of the intensity keys, expression pedal, osc 2 offset control, and octave controls. The intensity keys trigger notes on one or two separate channels depending on the mode setting, this allows each to trigger different instances of the same softsynth or different programs entirely. The sounds created from external hardware or software can then be sent back into the ET-4.3's external audio input to take advantage of the internal lowpass filter and spring reverb before being sent out for amplification or recording.
The second expression pedal input allows for bending the pitch of an oscillator, modifying the pulse width or controlling the output volume. This input also doubles as an external CV input and is assignable to control osc 1+2 pitch, osc 2 pitch, osc 2 pulse width or osc 1+2 volume. The ET-4.3 also has two Hold knobs above the intensity keys that allow the volume of each oscillator to be set without having to press the intensity keys.
Details and Specifications
- MIDI over USB output with 4 modes of operation
- Expression Pedal / CV input assignable to Osc 1+2 Pitch, Osc 2 Pitch, Osc 2 PWM and Osc 1+2 Gain
- Intensity key "Hold" knobs for hands-free playing
- Line-Level effects loop
- External audio input / effects return with level control and clipping indicator
- Separate oscillator outputs (1/4" TRS)
- Headphone output with volume control
- Two independent temperature compensated analog oscillators with sync function
- Six octave positions for each oscillator covering C0 to C8
- Six waveforms (sine, triangle, rectified sine/octiviant, 50% pulse, 30% pulse, 10% pulse (white noise on Osc 2)
- Adjustable ring with metal reinforced wire
- Replaceable reference keyboard with alternatives available (ex: lapsteel, specific scales, microtonal)
- Dual wooden pressure-sensitive intensity keys with approx. 3/4" travel
- Low-pass filter with adjustable cutoff frequency (can be controlled by expression pedal or external CV)
- Internal spring reverb with dry+wet mix control
- "Silent" tuner output, switchable between oscillators
- Line-level (+3db) output with volume control
- Control Voltage (CV) outputs for ring position (1V/octave) and both intensity keys (0 - 10V)
- 16VAC power input
- Dimensions: 30 x 11 x 4"
- Includes: Printed manual, USB cable, power supply (110-120V and 220-240V Available) and extension cable.
- Made in Canada