Based on original Moog Etherwave circuitry and aesthetic, designed by Bob Moog himself in 1996, this evolution of the instrument delivers improved precision, portability, and playability for the professional thereminist or curious newcomer.
For over 60 years, Moog theremins have captured the imagination of players and audiences alike. Most recently over the last two and a half decades, our Etherwave Standard and Etherwave Plus have set the bar for performance theremin design. Now, the all-time highest-selling theremin models get an update to become simply Etherwave Theremin.
The theremin’s elegant simplicity and inherently expressive nature caught the attention of Bob Moog, founder of Moog Music and inventor of the Moog modular synthesizer, at an early age. His lifelong love affair with the instrument began with the build of his first theremin at age 14 and concluded with his final theremin design: the original Etherwave. Today, the legacy of the Moog theremin continues inside our employee-owned company’s Asheville, North Carolina factory with the hand-built production of Etherwave Theremin.
The Evolution of the Etherwave Theremin
The new Etherwave Theremin focuses on the preservation of Bob Moog’s legendary theremin circuits to retain all the charm and character that made its predecessors so unique and sought after, while adding a host of new benefits:
- Improved bass response and stability in the lowest registers
- Updated antenna connections to enable quick assembly and easy removal for travel
- Quick-release mic stand adapter for attaching and detaching the instrument from mic stands
- Mute control for setting the instrument into a standby mode or used for “pitch preview” via headphones
- CV output integration from Etherwave Plus (Gate Out, Pitch Out, Vol. Out)
for connecting with other modular, Eurorack, and CV-controlled instruments
For the novice enthusiast or the seasoned professional player, Etherwave Theremin carries on the Etherwave legacy with a design that is refined for the modern thereminist.